Zoltan Torok is one of the world’s premiere wildlife filmmakers. He spends days, sometimes weeks-on-end in some of the most remote regions of the earth, behind some of the most fantastical-looking camera setups, in order to bring you mere seconds of footage of some animal species that neither you nor just about anyone else has ever seen before.
For our shared conversation, I had the pleasure of speaking with him about this often appreciated but not fully understood niche of cinema known as wildlife documentary.
- why spending time in nature is just as important as learning the techniques of filmmaking for an aspiring wildlife filmmaker
- what the responsibility is for a wildlife filmmaker to show the reality of certain wildlife settings
- how preparation, research, and patience are critical components to the wildlife filmmaker’s work
- the precarious, sometimes dangerous situations that a wildlife filmmaker might find themselves in
- 3 things needed to start becoming a wildlife filmmaker
5 Things to Be Thankful for In Your Doc Life
Here in the USA, we are in the midst of our Thanksgiving holiday. It’s a time where we get together with family and/or friends, share an extravagant meal, and we reflect on the love and appreciation that we have for the people that we have in our lives.
I thought what better way to express the gratitude that I have for you, #doclifers, as well as the appreciation that I have for being able to live my doc life, than to open up this week’s podcast with a segment that examines 5 things that all of us #doclifers can be truly thankful for.
After listening to the episode, I do hope that you’ll consider leaving some comments about what you might be thankful for in your own doc life!
Watch the amazing full length wildlife documentary, WILD HUNGARY: A Water Wonderland, a film that has specific scenes that are referenced in this episode!
Rate and Review
If you have found value in this podcast please leave a review so it can become more visible to others. Simply click the link and then click on the Ratings and Reviews tab to make your entry. Thank you for your support!