Whether by necessity or aesthetic choice, we doc filmmakers often shoot our projects with minimal crew and gear, sometimes even opting to go entirely solo. There are, of course, advantages and disadvantages to such an approach. But for this week’s opening segment we’ll take a look at 5 Advantages to Shooting Solo as a Doc Filmmaker. And in our shared conversation with a doc industry guest, we’ll talk with filmmaker Jack Ballo, who has recently been making waves with his latest doc, Brothers, a film that he shot entirely with his iPhone!
- how shooting a film with an iPhone was initially an exercise that turned into something bigger
- why shooting with your iPhone allows the filmmaker to concentrate on the filming, instead of their gear
- how shooting with an iPhone almost makes the filmmaker invisible to his/her subjects
- why Jack may never go back to using his “professional” gear ever again
In this episode we also discuss 5 Advantages to Shooting Solo as a Doc Filmmaker
- You only have to worry about yourself
- It’s low impact
- You’re the only person who touches your gear
- No one knows your vision like you do
- It’s cheap
You can check out trailers to two of Jack Ballo’s films, including his feature-length doc, Destiny’s Bridge and his latest iPhone doc, Brothers. And when you’re finished there, feel free to head on over to Jack’s DIY Documentary blog. Lots of posts about Do It Yourself Documentary Filmmaking!
New to The Documentary Life
Hot off the presses.. Be one of the first people ever to own your own #DocLifer t-shirt!
We’re sure you want to look as stylish and attractive as this young man, right!?
Head over to our online store and grab yours now.
Learn how to plan, fund and share your documentary film
#DocLand – The Documentary Life‘s very own flagship filmmaking community which offers you step-by-step tutorials, industry expert webinars, private Facebook group, industry-standard templates and extensive resources, to assist you in the planning, funding and sharing of your documentary film.
TDL Weekly Newsletter
New episodes, fresh written content, #Doclifer stories... never miss a beat, #Doclifer.