The Imposter Syndrome
Do you consider yourself a documentary filmmaker or is that a term that you are hesitant to give yourself? Is there something that is holding you back from your first documentary film? Perhaps what’s keeping you from being a doc filmmaker, or making your doc film, or living your doc life, is something called imposter syndrome.
Imposter syndrome is a concept that basically describes the inability of an individual to internalize one’s accomplishments as well as having a persistent fear of being exposed as a fraud. And I’m confused that so many of us doc filmmakers experience at some point in time in our own doc lives. Which is what we’ll take a look at in our opening segment of today’s podcast. We’ll discuss:
- Definition of imposter syndrome and how it applies to us #doclifers
- why you are already a filmmaker qualified to make a documentary
- how you can overcome the fear that you are under-qualified to make your doc film
In our shared conversation with a doc industry guest segment, I sat down with Academy Award and Emmy Award-nominated doc filmmaker, Lourdes Portillo. On the eve of her being awarded the prestigious International Documentary Association (IDA)’s Career Achievement Award, we have a frank and open conversation about the state of documentary: what it has meant for her in her life as well as what it might mean for future doc filmmakers and..
- how she became an Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker with her first film without ever having any prior filmmaking experience
- how aspiring filmmakers today make the mistake of concentrating on all of the shiny and latest camera gear and forget the most important element to a documentary: story
- advice for writing your first grants for your first projects
- what it means to be awarded an IDA Career Achievement Award
Trailer for Lourdes Portillo’s brilliant personal documentary The Devil Never Sleeps – as discussed in the episode – can be seen here:
Learn how to plan, fund and share your documentary film
#DocLand – The Documentary Life‘s very own flagship filmmaking community which offers you step-by-step tutorials, industry expert webinars, private Facebook group, industry-standard templates and extensive resources, to assist you in the planning, funding and sharing of your documentary film.
TDL Weekly Newsletter
New episodes, fresh written content, #Doclifer stories... never miss a beat, #Doclifer.